“The Guard of Honor has its origins at Calvary, its foundation in the Wounded Heart of Jesus, its model in the first ‘Guard of Honor:’ the Blessed Virgin Mary, Saint John, and Saint Mary Magdalene. They were the ones who stood by the abandoned Cross when the Heart of Christ was pierced by the lance.”
Important Points to Remember about the Guard of Honor and Who We Are
The main end of the Guard of Honor is to console the wounded Heart of Jesus by offering Him a threefold homage of glory, love and reparation.
- The Association aspires to ensure that at all hours of the day, fervent Christians are attentive to Christ’s burning love for us.
- To this end, the members choose one hour of the day to be attentive to the presence of Jesus. It is not necessary to spend the Hour of Guard in prayer, nor in church. At their chosen hour, each member, without changing any of their usual occupations, place themselves in spirit at the foot of the tabernacle. There they offer to Jesus their thoughts, words, actions and sufferings, and above all their desire to console His divine Heart by their love. (To learn more go to the page entitled The Dial and visit the post by the Father Director.)
- An additional Hour of Mercy may also be chosen for the intention of a special person or persons, family, or social group in the spirit of reparation. Because of the lack of faith and abandonment of the practice of religion of many – parents, spouses and friends have taken it upon themselves to offer an “Hour of Mercy” for the conversion of one or more of their loved ones. (To learn more go to the page entitled The Dial.)
- All members are highly recommended to participate in the First Friday Mass. Frequent sacramental communion is also highly recommended.
- To become a member, you must: a) be properly registered at an official center, i.e., Visitation Monastery (which is also accomplished through this website); b) faithfully keep the Hour of Guard that one has chosen (nothing obliges under pain of sin). (Go to the page entitled Registration.)
We Invite You to Join Us
Formed as an Association of the Faithful, the Guard of Honor of the Sacred Heart saw first light on March 13th, 1863, at the Monastery of the Visitation of Holy Mary at Bourg-en-Bresse, France. The result of much hard work on the part of Sister Marie of the Sacred Heart Bernaud, the Guard of Honor quickly spread throughout the whole world.